In psychology, it has been established that a child’s personality would have formed by the age of 5. This gives insight into how to relate with a child and as he/she grows up.
1. Be a parent to the child between birth and 12 years of age.
- This is when the spankings, etc can come in. Whatever you don’t correct at this age, forget about correcting later. Correct their perceptions, their orientations, etc. Be available to physically incorporate values into them.
2. From the age of 13-19, you are to be a friend to them.
- Many parents want to do core parenting at this age range. If you didn’t achieve that earlier, you may not succeed outrightly here.
- Note that one significant factor that can help the child at this phase is the God-factor. If they find God at this age or earlier, they will likely stick to Him forever.
3. From age 20 and above, the best you can be to the ‘child’ is a mentor
- At this phase, be an inspiration to him/her. Let your life inspire him/her. Let your marriage inspire. Inspire them to do things rather than wanting to push your way through. You cannot be adopting spanking and slapping at this age. That is if you are not slapped back. Because if you did a good job, you won’t have to be slapping a 25 year old.